Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Freyja will be 6 months old tomorrow! It's no shock that time has gone by quickly, especially since returning to work full time in November. In the past week Freyja has tried some applesauce and a small taste of banana, but we plan to work on her getting used to food more in the weeks to come. Nick and I had a nasty stomach bug last week, but thankfully Freyja did not get sick. I even ended up going to urgent care on Friday, which was helpful. Because of the illness I didn't produce as much milk that week, so we did buy some formula to supplement along with the breastmilk. Freyja was a little skeptical of it at first, according to the daycare provider, but she tolerated it. I know that formula works great for many babies, I just happen to really enjoy being able to breasfeed her and it was stressful when my milk supply decreased. Stress can then decrease supply even more--so I did my best not to worry too much. I talked with Freyja's pediatrician, who is also a lactation consultant, and she gave me some helpful advice. My supply is almost back to normal!

I had a very nice dinner this week with a friend Laura, who also has a 5-month old daughter.  She also works full time, and it is nice to talk with someone with whom I have a lot in common---because some days, being a new mom can feel isolating. We both are able to breastfeed in public--so it helps having someone else to give me confidence and realize it's not a big deal. At work my breaks are used for pumping, my sleep is frequently interrupted, everything takes longer at home, and a shower is a luxury that I don't get every day! (usually every day, don't worry!) I miss my friends with working full time...but that's a story for another day. It seems like someone is sick in our house every 1-2 weeks, making it hard to plan ahead sometimes!

Freyja loves to play with toys, put anything and everything (including her toes!) in her mouth, and has about a 1- to 2-book attention span. She enjoys banging on books and toys--and even the take-out plastic container from the restaurant. It kept her occupied for 10 minutes!

I am lucky to have a wonderful family and friends and even though my time is limited, I value what time I do have that much more! :)

Well, it's time to finish pumping and get back to work. I figured I would just type a quick update while I had a few minutes! I will have to add pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment