Monday, April 29, 2013

8 Months Old

Freyja is 8 1/2 months old--and I can't believe that in two weeks she will be 9 months old! This year (2013) has flown by...I am in disbelief that Wednesday is the first of May!

Freyja hasn't had as bad of a cold this month, but she went to the doctor on 4/5/13 and was diagnosed with her first ear infection (right ear). I knew something wasn't right when she was very fussy at night and didn't want to be set down. She was on 10 days of amoxicillin (antibiotic).

A few days after she completed the antibiotics she still didn't seem like herself but it wasn't as blatantly obvious as the first time. She was more fussy in the evening and hitting at her ear & head again. During the day she was happy and playful, but still refused much of her bottles and just wanted to eat food. She didn't act satisfied though, and had an upset stomach one of the days. I should have listened to my gut, but the weather was bad on 4/19/13 and I told myself she was probably fine. I scheduled her an appointment with the doctor on Monday, but by Sunday (4/21) I knew I needed to bring her in. Turns out she had an ear infection still, and this time it was in BOTH ears. Poor Freyja!

I think if she had been feeling better, she may already be crawling by now--but I'm in no hurry. On Saturday, April 20, I spent some of my birthday cleaning and getting ready for when Freyja becomes more mobile, which is coming soon. Freyja has been scooting backwards for a few weeks and is quick at turning around and has recently started pulling herself up onto her knees. I would like to get our house cleaner for my own sanity too. It is a work in progress--but we're getting there!

Nick and I got out last week and celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. It was nice to get out of the house just the two of us and enjoy a nice, relaxing dinner! Thanks to Grandma Melanie for babysitting :)

A few fun Freyja facts:

1. She likes to bounce and clap to the music (or even to mom's singing!)

2. She is a little more skeptical of visitors but warms up quickly.

3. If she wants your attention, she knows how to get it by babbling loud or evening a little dramatic cry.

4. At urgent care on 4/21 she weighed 17 lbs 4 oz. She is getting heavier to carry around. I tried the Boba carrier the other day, and look forward to trying it with her on my back (I hear it's easier on your back).

5. Her typical bedtime is between 8:30 & 9:00pm

6. She spends most of the night sleeping in her crib (only occasionally sleeping in my arms if I fall asleep after I feed her!) and sleeps with a small blanket.

7. Maybe not a "fun fact" but woth mentioning...we have been using cloth diapers for the most part, but in April while she was on antibiotics, we have used quite a few disposable diapers. I'll let you guess why!

8. She loves food and gets annoyed if it's past her "normal" dinner time--and she will let us know. When I am eating a snack, she is interested in what I am eating. I try to have her eat when we are eating, but it just depends on if our dinner is ready or not. Even though I like food too, I feed her first :)

9. She takes about 3-4 naps per day (morning, late morning, early afternoon, late afternoon/on the way home from daycare). On the weekend, she probably only takes 2-3 naps but usually they are longer ones. It depends if a car ride is involved--if she is overtired, that can help put her to sleep!

10. In 24 hours, from midnight to midnight, she probably breastfeeds 5 times, and I pump twice at work. She eats 3 meals of solid foods. She doesn't really know how to use a sippy cup yet (doesn't know to tip it back) but can take sips from a cup with my help. She likes to feed herself sometimes, and knows right where the spoon goes. Sometimes she uses the wrong end of the spoon :)

11. She notices Gasthof and has been reaching out to pet him, and sometimes giggles when he licks her. I don't encourage him licking her face, but I don't worry too much either.

12. If she is fussy and doesn't want to play with her toys and she has already been fed, I usually carry her around while I do the laundry or dishes, for example, and that appeases her for a while. It's rare that she fusses in my arms--unless I am trying to clean her face or something.

13. It is hard to keep her glasses on, but we are doing our best. The strap helps, but the earpiece keeps getting loose. It's a nuisance, but oh well.

14. Freyja loves to say "da, da, da, da" and she has a very sing-songy voice. It's super cute. She sometimes says "mama" but likes to say "dada" more. It's easier to say...and Nick loves it.

15. She likes to stick out her long tongue (down) when eating, and curls it up towards her nose when smiling--it's pretty cute.

16. She puts everything into her mouth. This is typical for her age, but my mom seems to forget this stage for her kids. So someday when Freyja has kids, I can look back and see that she did it too ;)

17. I am glad that she still doesn't mind the carseat and takes naps on her way home from daycare. She will outgrow this carseat soon enough...and then we will have to get one that stays in the car. Now that it's nice out, I plan to take her in the stroller and have her sitting up without being in the carseat (which currently attaches to the stroller).

18. I enjoy reading her a book or two every night (Nick usually reads one too), and I never get sick of giving her hugs and kisses.

19. I miss her while I am at work--but I enjoy interacting with adults and the time flies by!

20. Freyja enjoys her buddies at daycare...and pretty soon, her friend will be joining her at the same daycare!


That's it for now...I'll try to add pictures later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment