Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My mind never rests...

Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down, sometimes I'm happy/perplexed/frustrated/optimistic or cynical.
Sometimes I'm early (yes, it's true!), sometimes I'm late, sometimes I'm wishing the time stopped/reversed/slowed/skipped or the day was longer.
Sometimes I want to scream, sometimes I want to laugh, sometimes I cry/sigh/smile/frown or have days with a wide range of emotions....

...but I can't remember the last time I was bored.

This includes Saturdays, Sundays, weekdays/holidays/vacations or any time of day.
This includes driving, reading, playing/learning/sitting/standing or when I go for a walk.
This includes in a crowd, with family/friends/neighbors/co-workers, or even just alone....

While I don't always feel satisfied at the end of each day, I never feel bored.

My life feels like an adventure. I don't know what will come around the corner or what will get rolled in front of me like in the classic Indiana Jones' scenes, but I know each day won't be smooth. Even when my daily life seems unchanged, my friend's/family member's/neighbor's/co-worker's day--or life-- may have been turned upside down.  

I have often thought the word adventure has a positive connotation. Sure, I've heard it used sarcastically ("Well THAT will be an adventure...") but I rarely hear it used to describe one's struggles.

Unfortunately, something can switch from an adventure to a tragedy in an instant. Irregardless of religious or spiritual beliefs, our life as we know it in this body/spirit/soul/mind will come to an end on the day of our last breath. Death is a known risk, but so much leading up to it is unknown.

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the definition of adventure is:

1
a : an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks
b : the encountering of risks <the spirit of adventure>
2
: an exciting or remarkable experience <an adventure in exotic dining>
3
: an enterprise involving financial risk

When everything is status quo, life is like an adventure. When people predict, tolerate, or accept change, they can create detours, stay on track, and are not haunted by the finish line.  
But when tragedy strikes, life is like a hurricane, flood, or any other natural disaster. That's when we replace security with fear and stability with chaos. We question our strengths, our beliefs, and may be haunted by our own mortality.

*Now it's time to go to bed...I apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors at the end, but I suddenly got very tired.

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment