Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Camp du Nord & Freyja's First Birthday


Written August 29, 2013 (A longer post with more pictures--photos courtesy of my dad Randy & my aunt LeAnne)

Freyja had her first trip up to Camp du Nord on her half birthday (at 6 months old) back in February (picture on the right), and she made her second trip up during her birthday week in August. It has been a tradition ever since the 1960s for the Hobbs family, and I was excited to introduce Freyja to one of my favorite places!

August 2013 (12 months)
Feb 2013 (6 months)
We are looking forward to heading up there again in just over a week for my close friend's wedding. The only downside to going up north now that we have a baby is that the drive is about 4 1/2 hours. She gets antsy and needs to get out of the car seat and play. The 4 1/2 hour-drive became about 5 1/2 hours, and towards the end, a meltdown was imminent. One way I have found helps get her to nap is if I put my head down and rest too, which usually leads to me falling asleep too. Nick often prefers to drive rather than entertain Freyja in the backseat.

Next week my mom will be joining us on the ride up, which means Nick will have someone to talk to in the car, and Grandma Deb can hang out with Freyja some so we aren't stuck at the cabin when she goes to bed at 8:00 pm. I was slightly hesitant at first to agree to my mom coming up early, because I don't want people to think we can't handle watching Freyja on our own. I really enjoy my time with Freyja, especially on the weekends or holidays. My mom wants Nick and I to have fun with friends and some alone time, so I decided that was a good reason for her to come up early. My dad, my brother Brian, and my sister-in-law Michelle will be coming up later on Friday.



Freyja--newborn
Freyja--1 year old

Freyja--newborn
Freyja--1 year old at du Nord

We had a great time at Camp du Nord in August. The week included:

1. Freyja turning 1 on August 15!
2. Freyja playing at "age group" (like day care) for an hour or two a few of the days while Nick and I had time to nap, read, walk, relax, etc.
Playing soccer with my cousin Rachel
3. Freyja catching a cold
4. Nature walks with the family, and a special shout out to Grandma Deb
5. Nick earned his Polar Bear Plunge (running into the lake each morning at 7:45 am). Brr!
6. Wood-fire sauna and jumping in the lake
7. Nick carving a walking stick for himself and for Freyja
8. Freyja enjoyed her first canoe ride. She also liked kicking the soccer ball and hitting the tetherball.

For the past month, she points at what she is interested in or wants

Mom and dad helping blow out the candle before Freyja could grab it



Dainty first bites...surprisingly it wasn't that messy!

"How big is Freyja? So big!"

Sweet and sticky!

"Num num"

The rental cabin "Sunshine" in the background

Grandma Deb

My dad helping serve the cake
Playing with the pinwheel. "My 1st Birthday" shirt from Gigi
9. Nick took Freyja on a birthday hike along the trails
10. Stitching our own felt wool slippers (which we still need to finish!)
11. Each couple cooked two dinners for the cabin (7 of us, including my siblings and parents)
12. Board games with the siblings and cousins.
13. Naps
14. Family volleyball and other activities ("Du Ga" with the Ga-ga ball, paddle boarding)
15. Celebrating my cousin Justin's 16th birthday at the yurt with my extended family (on my mom's side)
16. Beach time--Freyja loved the water and playing in the sand.
"Here's a bite for you, mama"

"You're funny"

A rare picture with Freyja looking at me--she is getting harder to capture now that she is on the move!
17. Freyja worked on walking, up to about 6-8 steps at a time. She also enjoyed climbing the stairs by herself (with supervision of course!)
18. Reading (I think I have only read one book in its entirety since Freyja was born, unless you count Freyja's board books! Then I'm up to about 3 per night).
19. Visiting multiple rest stops and Gordy's Hi-Hat in Cloquet for burgers, cheese curds, ice cream, and the playground.
20. Going for walks and even a few runs!

We had a Clark favorite for her birthday dinner--chicken fried rice with green beans. Freyja loves to eat and was spoiled with lots of delicious meals and even some cake. I made two cakes for Freyja's birthday, and it was my first time frosting/decorating a cake so I kept it simple. We even taught her to put up her index finger (showing she is 1) when we asked her how old she was (we started working on this a few days early so she could do it in time for her birthday).

Cake #1, using a baggie to write the lettering


Cake #2, my attempt at frosting the Sesame Street cake mold
"I'm one!"
After her birthday cake we headed to the Camp du Nord auction. Each week, campers and staff donate to this and the proceeds raised go towards the camp. This August my mom bid on having 5 poems written about the subjects of her choice. She gave information to the award-winning poet, and he wrote a poem about Freyja! (at bottom of post). Overall, we had a great time with our family. I think it took us a week to "recover" from our vacation (i.e. catch up on sleep and get the house back in order), but it was worth it!

Here are some more pictures and Freyja's poem at the bottom:
My brother Brian and sister-in-law Michelle
Grandma Melanie with Freyja--8/18/12 (3 days old)

Grandpa Randy and Grandma Deb with Freyja--8/18/12
Grandpa Randy and Grandma Deb with Freyja--8/15/13

Four generations 8/15/13
Hobbs family August 2013
Clark family (+ Kremer
Kremer family on Freyja's first birthday

Bunny stuffed animal from Aunt Michelle and Uncle Brian. So soft and cuddly!

Xylophone from grandparens


Volleyball
Hobbs' yurt
Pinecones


Family fun at the beach




Polar Bear Plunge

"I'm one!"
Freyja's inaugural canoe ride

Headed out toward Northland Island

Singing canoe songs





Burntside Lake


Kremer family, Freyja at 10 days old (August 2012)



Kremer family, Freyja at 1 year old (August 2013)

Freyja’s The One
August 2013
If there were a girl
who came into the world
with a smile, Freyja’s the one
Cooing and grinning
right from the beginning
enchanting everyone

The day you were born
was a beautiful morn.
Dear Grandma – too happy to sleep!
Pilot House views
she captured for you
and safely for you does she keep.

At Sunshine this year
with Mom and Dad here
I don’t think that I need to mention
with Brian and Michelle
and the grand-folks as well
Guess who’s the center of attention!

And when you turned one
there at Sunshine – what fun!
Pancakes by Grandpa, for starters
Learning the songs
at the camp sing-alongs –
every day you’re a little bit smarter!

Two dozen and three
from the Hobbs family tree
assembled to see you turn one!
The family is growing
we’re confident knowing
the good times have barely begun.

Two cakes are more fun
when a girl’s turning one
All your friends there from Sesame Street
and kinfolk and cousins –
two tables! – with dozens
to help make the party complete

Happily greeting
the people you’re meeting
in hiking with Grandma each day
you’re just about walking
and already talking -
charisma and charm on display

And when you’re not cooing
you love to be DOING
kicking and throwing the ball
towers of blocks
your sturdy hand knocks
to the ground, to the amusement of all

You had a great view
when you rode the canoe
your Dada’s own lap the best saddle
and Grandpa was there
shooting pictures to share
while Grandma and Mom worked the paddles

Your nearsighted eyes
cannot compromise
your passion for seeing it all
For a one-year-old girl
your embrace of the world
and of people is anything but small

We’re here – the Hobbs clan!
Four eras we span
since Marilyn and Earl first came north
Each generation
to the same sweet location
And Freyja, you count as the fourth!

We’re Hobbs pioneers!
We gather each year
the line of tradition grows longer
Each link in the chain
our love will sustain
And you, Freyja, make the line stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment