Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Being a Mother

This August I took on a new role--being a mother. I tried to think of what to compare it to without using a cliche analogy, like a roller coaster. But as anyone who has been sleep deprived can relate, I will just stick with that for now because I can't think of anything better! I have had some very high moments, and a few low moments too, with a lot of little ups and downs in between. I am very blessed to be the mother to a beautiful baby girl named Freyja!

Freyja is expressive, has beautiful big blue eyes, and a smile that melts my heart. It is amazing to see her change so much in such a short period of time!

1 day old (birth weight 6 lbs 7 oz)
4 days old, coming home from the hospital, 5 lbs 12 oz

1 week old (her due date 8/22/12) weight: 5 lbs 14 oz 
2 weeks old (8/29/12

3 weeks old (9/5/12)

4 weeks old (one day shy, 9/11/12)

5 weeks old (9/18/12)

6 weeks old with daddy (9/25/12)
7 1/2 weeks old (10/8/12

My phone memory was full, so I can't find pictures for 8 or 9 weeks old

10 weeks old with mommy


And a few pictures more recently:
11 weeks old (10/31/12)
11 weeks old (tummy time)
Almost 12 weeks old (11/5/12)
Medical updates: 

We are finally slowing down on doctor appointments and have a plan in place for starting daycare on November 19th at a center near my work. We have our last speech therapy appointment, and she still has not been taking more than 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce at a time.My boss is graciously allowing me to leave work twice during the workday to feed Freyja since she still is refusing a bottle. Someone asked me what has been the hardest part of motherhood so far. My response? Feeding. It has been a struggle from the beginning, as it took her almost a month to reach her birth weight, but she is gaining and growing and is oh-so-cute!

During the first month we were going to the pediatrician 1 to 2 times per week, and then again once per week when her weight gain slowed. She continues on a medication (ranitidine, generic for Zantac) twice daily for reflux, and after feedings I try to keep her upright for up to 20-30 minutes.  At her 2 month appointment on 10/16/12 she weighed 8 lbs and was in the 0 percentile (not on the curve for weight), but was 39% for length. We rented a scale that measures how much breast milk she drank per feeding (weighing before and after a feed wearing the same clothing and without changing a diaper). This helped immensely, and by 11/2/12, 17 days later, she had gained 12 ounces. Normal weight gain is about 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce per day. Her pediatrician was very pleased with her progress, and we don't have any more appointments scheduled until her 4-month check-up!


During pregnancy, I thought that the biggest hurdle would be related to her goiter (enlarged thyroid gland), which was found on my 26-week ultrasound. As expected, following birth she was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism. Congenital means present at birth, and hypothyroidism means that the thyroid gland is not producing an adequate amount of the thyroid hormone.  Freyja needs the synthetic version of the thyroid hormone for proper growth and development. She takes a medication daily (levothyroxine, the generic of Synthroid) and she has been doing well with this. It is a very safe, thoroughly tested medication, and the side effects are only present if the dosing needs adjustment. For the first year she will get her thyroid function levels checked every month and see the endocrinologist every 3 months.


Two weeks ago she had genetic testing to check for Stickler syndrome (on one of 2 genes) and the results will likely take 4 to 6 weeks. I have the syndrome, and because it is autosomal dominant, Freyja has a 50% chance of having the syndrome. Basically, if you have the gene you have the syndrome. but if you don't have the syndrome it means you can't pass it on. I won't be surprised if she has this syndrome as the risk is 50%, but I can still be optimistic until proven otherwise! The biggest concerns with Stickler syndrome involve the eyes (specifically, detachment of the retina). If she has the syndrome we will see the genetic doctor again, she will have x-rays done at 6 months, and we will be seeing an ophthalmologist (this appointment may happen before the results are back).

We also saw a chiropractor who specializes in pediatrics. This seemed to help her positioning of her head/neck. The chiropractor does a very gentle adjustment by applying light pressure at certain points of her neck and back.

Now that the appointments are winding down, breastfeeding is improving, and I finally am finding ways to take care of Freyja and get things done around the house......it's just about time to go back to work! Go figure. Well, time for bed! I should have gone to sleep at the same time as Freyja but I got wrapped up in writing this post. I hope Freyja lets me sleep a little while before her next feeding! I will end this post with a picture of 4 generation of women...
My grandma, mother, Freyja, and me :)


Emily

Ps: Some of Freyja's newborn photos (1 week old) can be viewed at http://www.megandaasphoto.com/search/label/newborn 

No comments:

Post a Comment