Tuesday, March 5, 2013

How my life has changed...

Written early March 2013

I don't have much "free time" at home to write in this blog, but since I forgot to pump a second time until after finishing my work for today, I figured I would multitask.

I thought about writing down ways in which my life has changed since having Freyja. At first I was thinking about writing a list "positives and negatives of being a parent," but realized it's not so much negatives as it is just a different lifestyle that is sometimes difficult but most times is a wonderful blessing. Maybe when she is going through the difficult teen years I will write about the negatives ;)

I figure the easiest way to write about changes is to think about my typical day and week and go from there.

1. I used to get 7-9 hours of consecutive sleep each night. Between when I go to bed and when I get up for work is about 7 to 8 hours, but I am awoken at least two or more times in the middle of the night by a hungry little girl. I have a new definition of a "full night's sleep." An extra 5 to 10 minutes of sleep with the snooze alarm is a must many mornings...but I am trying to break this habit.

2. I feel spoiled when I get an uninterrupted bath or shower of more than 5 or 10 minutes.

3. I have a new appreciation for dairy cows. Producing milk for another being is a big time commitment  but is definitely worth it when I consider the benefits of breast milk  It is a great way for Freyja to get antibodies and strengthen her immune system, and has been good bonding as well. It definitely hasn't been easy, but I am glad that we stuck with it!

4. Except for on the weekends, I eat my breakfast on my way to work--usually a bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter--when I am in stop and go traffic on the entrance ramp. Not the healthiest choice, but for now it works. I am trying to develop a taste for steel cut oats, but I'm just not there yet.

5. I have a lot to remember in the morning--including packing my pump supplies, lunch, extra diapers/wipes/clothes for Freyja--the most importance of which is Freyja :) I have never forgotten the latter, but have forgotten everything else at least once.

6. I call daycare once per day while I am at work because I miss Freyja and like to hear about how she is doing. It's usually just a 30-second call, but it helps me get through my work day without worrying about her.


No comments:

Post a Comment