Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lessons of a Mother, #2

We had a nice weekend with friends and family. I sure do love the weekends! Mondays are especially hard to say goodbye to Freyja at daycare,  but I really do think I appreciate the time I have with her even more...at least that's what I tell myself ;) I obviously have had more than just two lessons as a mother, but here is the second one that I have written up on my blog. Pictures to be added later :)

Lesson #2--You do the best you can with what you have (both literally and figuratively):

Yesterday Nick packed my pump supplies and he forgot the little yellow things and membranes that go on the inside of the pump. I tried to jerry-rig (spell?) something using scotch tape and a bandaid, but to no avail! Maybe if I were an engineer--but that's all I really had access to in the room I was pumping in. So, needless to say, yesterday was a little frustrating. I spent too long trying to get it to work, then I had to hand pump--so I didn't have much time to eat lunch.  Nick ended up buying a $10 replacement parts kit at Target and bringing it to me in the late afternoon. Work was so busy and I ended up with a migraine, but thankfully I now have a medication to take if needed. It has been a lifesaver, especially considering I get a migraine about 2-3 times per month. I have noticed it usually happens on busy days and holidays (Christmas, New Years' Eve), so I am thinking they are triggered in part by stress. Holidays can be great, but often are not without stress!


I have had some changes at work, which have been stressful, but which I think will improve in the near future. At work I have been told I need to work on my confidence--and this will help improve my communication with my coworkers and doctors. I am trying to hold my head up and work on myself, while reminding myself we all have areas of weakness.  I had a good talk with many great women in my family (my mother, mothers-in-law, and my grandma) and they were very encouraging and supportive.

In the past week when I felt flustered or frustrated, I thought about the example I wanted to be for Freyja. In the future I can use this situation from which to teach her to respond to adversity with kindess rather than anger, and to be open-minded to change. I am surprised how much it really helps thinking of how I want to be a good role model for her.

I didn't choose to have a child so I would be a better person, and I know it's important to improve for my own sake--but there is nothing wrong with having a little extra motivation! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment