Monday, September 20, 2010

Emily and Nick are back to Work...but Gasthof wants to play!

A random, non-dog related event of my day: when I was driving around Minneapolis, I was about to drive over the Lightrail tracks, when I noticed a man lying down on the ground (of the Greenway bike path), not moving. A man with a bike was standing over him, with a concerned look on his face and a cell phone in his hand. I rolled down my window and asked if he needed help. I was getting honked at, but I didn't care--the cars behind me must not have seen what was going on. The man said he called an ambulance. There was nowhere to pull over, so I turned onto Hiawatha and took the next exit...and made my way back towards the bike path. The closest parking was street parking about two blocks away. I grabbed my CPR mask, backpack with nursing supplies (dressings, gloves, BP cuff, etc), and my stethoscope, and ran to the path. I felt soooooo out of shape as I ran the 2 blocks, but I couldn't stop till I made sure he was ok. When I got closer, I saw flashing lights, a police car, and 2 officers. The biker was no longer there. I asked, out of breath, "Is he ok?" The officers responded that he would be fine, they were taking him to detox. They said "thank you for calling" (although I wasn't the one who called)...I explained that I had seen someone lying on the ground--that I drove around the block and came to see if he was ok. I thought it was a bike accident or something...so I was glad it wasn't that. They helped him stumble into the car, as the guy mumbled things I could not understand. I am not experienced with emergency medicine, but I could at least focus on the ABCs (Airway, Breathing, Circulation)...I had gloves and dressings if he was bleeding, and I had a mask if he wasn't breathing. I am glad that in the end, it wasn't a situation that needed me, but I am glad that I didn't just keep driving. As a nurse and as a human being, I could not just ignore someone lying motionless like that. If it wouldn't have been so close to the train tracks, I would have just put on my emergency flashers and parked right there. Once people understood what was going on, it would have been ok...but it all happened so quickly! It really got my adrenaline going...just wish I wouldn't have felt so out of shape as I ran the meager 2 blocks to get to him!

A quick note about his breeding/mix. I have heard a number of comments, including that he looked part pit bull, doberman, lab, greyhound, whippet sighthound, etc. So I asked one of the foster parents about how they guess his breed. This is what she said: "We go with the guess from our vet as well as what we think based on our experience (we've seen a lot of dogs!).  Also knowing that he came from Southern Iowa changes everything in terms of breeds. Most people assume all brindle dogs are pit bulls or greyhounds.  However, pit bulls are banned where he came from in Iowa and it's huge into coon hound hunting.  That and the whole look of his face basically is almost definitely Plott Hound.  Doberman I can see in the leggy-ness but the Plott Hounds are built so sleek that could contribute to that.  Most people in MN have never seen a Plott Hound or a Plott Hound mix unless they've been to the South!" I thought this explanation was very helpful! She also let me know that his scratches were from playing with other dogs...he liked to play rowdy...and scabs are very common (she said it's just like little kids scabbing up their knees). 

Gasthof definitely had a lot of energy today and loved to test the boundaries...and just show us that he is all puppy! He has been jumping up more on me today (and every piece of furniture...), he spilled some of my milk, started chewing my wooden end table in the living room, tried to eat grass each time he was in the backyard, even picked up the book "Housetraining" with his mouth haha...he was less interested in his Kong or Nylabone and more interested in all the new things in my home! So goes. I just really don't want my pottery to break, so I moved that further away from his reach. Looks like I'm going to have to keep the house more clean! Nick has guys' night tonight, so it's just Gasthof and me hanging out tonight. A friend of mine just got a 5 month old puppy, and we've already set up a play date in two weeks. How fun! Gasthof will love having more puppy friends!
Today was the start of the work week. Nick was wonderful and took Gasthof out in the morning and fed him. However, Nick had a hard time getting ready...and got a few dirty paws on his khakis! Since I don't trust turning him loose in the house, I had to put him in his kennel when I showered. I was able to see a few patients, stop back for a half hour to let Gasthof run around the backyard and go for a 10 min walk. Then I went back to work--so he was in his kennel until I returned home.

When I came home later, I played with Gasthof in the  backyard, then took him for a 30 minute walk. He was pretty good at walking along side me...I didn't really give him any room to sniff the ground or eat the grass. He was on a short leash today, but I knew if I let him sniff around we would never get anywhere! A few times he appeared a little apprehensive about the new surroundings, putting his tail between his legs and stopping dead in his tracks...staring at people or trucks that drove by...I let him wait for a few seconds, then I said "Let's go, it's ok" and kept walking. I didn't pet him...I read that when they're scared, they often don't like to be petted. It took about 30 minutes to go maybe 1.25 miles or so? It's good for him to get in a routine, and I know with time he will get more comfortable. Not only was the walk good for him, but it was also good for me. I enjoyed looking at the water tower in the distance, with bright pink and magenta hues covering the sky. If not for Gasthof, I may have just went home, taken a nap, and never got the fresh air or seen such beautiful scenery. Like children, dogs help us enjoy the simple things in life that we often take for granted. Two of my patients today had 2 year old children living in their home, and both were very cute...I couldn't help but smile when they tried to communicate. They said one word at a time and their eyes lit up. I told one of my patients that I got a puppy...the little boy said "Puppies??" (like he was wondering where they were). I showed him a picture of Gasthof and he exclaimed "Puppy!!" and was very happy. His eyes gleamed. Children remind us of the simple joys in life.

Sometimes it's easy to get down, impatient, annoyed, and stressed. But hang out for a few minutes with a two year old, or even a puppy, and you will find it's hard not to smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment