Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My First Trip To the Vet

I made my FIRST trip ever to the veterinarian yesterday (hence the title of this post). I was finishing up with work at home, when I brought Gasthof outside to go to the bathroom. I saw him run down the stairs and begin barking at my neighbor, Connie (She is in her 80s and has lived in this neighborhood for 50+ years! She remembers my when most of the land was farmland. She is a very sweet neighbor). I didn't want Gasthof barking (he was excited to see her), so I yelled "come!" He sprinted across the yard and was running up the deck stairs toward me, when suddenly, he slipped! It happened so quickly, so it's hard to say exactly what happened...he didn't fall down the stairs, just got his legs tripped up. If he hadn't have gotten hurt, it would have been a good clip for a show like "America's Funniest Home Videos". He didn't yelp or appear in pain, but when I walked down to talk with Connie on the other side of the fence, I noticed he was limping. He would run with 3 legs and hold up his right hind leg. Despite the injury, he still wanted to tag along. I brought him inside and thought about what to do. As a nurse, I know what to do to help humans, but not dogs. With humans, you want to follow RICE if you have a sprain (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate). So, I figured I could try some of this with Gasthof.  I grabbed some frozen barley from the freezer and an ace wrap from my drawer...

(I'm pausing because most of you are probably laughing, guessing where I am going with this...).

Needless to say, Gasthof would not let me bandage his leg. I remembered the name of a vet that my coworker had recommended, so I called to see if he had any appointments left for today. I figured they wouldn't because it was already almost 4pm, but we were lucky--they had an opening in an hour! I put Gasthof in the kennel and started looking for his vet records. Nick had been the last to look at them...thankfully he had an idea of where he put them! (I'm usually the one who has to find things that he has misplaced!). I didn't know what it would be like at the vet's office, so I figured I should bring some treats and Gasthof's nylabone. I stuffed the treats, toy, and vet records in my purse and we piled (literally!) into the car. I had never driven Gasthof in the car by myself, so I tried to buckle him in (the harness I bought him turned out to be too big, so I have to return it for a smaller one. He's lanky). This was another thing a newbie like me learned quite quickly...dogs do not like to stay put. It took me a few minutes to try to buckle him with two seat belts, and in two seconds he was free. I sighed, gave up, and hopped into the front seat, quickly putting my hand back to keep Gasthof from following me. By now, I'm sure my face was flushed and my hair was a mess. But I was on a mission...to get my puppy feeling better. I know it may sound dramatic, and for those of you who grew up with pets I'm sure this sounds easy. But for me, this was new territory. I knew it wasn't an emergency, but it was a situation I had never been in before. I've never had someone so dependent on me before.

The moment I got onto the highway, I realized it was rush hour. With all the distractions, I had forgotten to take into account rush hour, and I forget about the time it takes to get Gasthof into the car and settled. I was flustered, but Gasthof looked peaceful and happy as he peaked his head next to me and looked out my window. I was just glad he didn't try climbing to the front while I was driving.

I made it to the vet's office 10 minutes late, but it ended up being ok. I felt like a new mom, with Gasthof in one hand and trying to fill out paperwork with another. I guess having a pet is good practice for parenthood? (just saying...I'm not planning on having kids any time soon!). My friend Alissa and I were talking this morning. She has an 8 month old puppy named Shirley. We both love having a puppy...but are glad not to have any kids yet! It's too bad that Alissa and her husband Mike don't live closer...Shirley and Gasthof could be puppy pals. Guess they will have to be long distance for now and be pen pals...hopefully they will meet someday!

Ok, back to the story...(for those who know me, you know that I am not the best at telling stories without getting sidetracked!). Gasthof and I were sitting in the waiting area, when all of a sudden, he jumps up onto the bench and starts excitedly wagging his tail. He sees another puppy coming inside! Most of the time I can keep Gasthof under control...but at times like these I wish I had the strength of a weight lifter. He tries to test my biceps and my patience...whining and pulling on the leash. However, I give him attention and start scratching by his collar, and he settles down well enough.

The vet tech opens the door, and as Gasthof's paws slip and slide and his legs bow outward on the linoleum floor, I am reminded of my first time meeting Gasthof.  It was a bright, sunny morning on the day I met Gasthof. Nick and I saw Gasthof (then named Boss Man) sitting quietly in his kennel amidst a sea of barking dogs. When we first went up to him, he started licking our hands and wagging his tail with excitement. It was love at first sight. One of the volunteers with Homeward Bound Rescue said we could walk him, and I quickly volunteered. We got him on a leash and he was so excited to get out of the kennel and be where the action was...within 15 feet of the kennel he started peeing on the floor.  A volunteer was ready with paper towels and spray, and said that it was okay. Gasthof and I continued toward the front of the store. He was surprisingly strong, but he also endearingly clumsy. He knew where he wanted to go, but his feet had a hard time getting him there! He is very outgoing and wanted to say hello to everyone! Within a few minutes we reached outside and began walking him outside the store so that he was not as distracted by the chaos. Freedom! He pulled hard, and I had to be stronger. I wasn't about to lose him before getting him home! I switched over to our leash because theirs was a hard nylon rope that was burning my hands. Nick tried walking Gasthof as well, and had about the same amount of luck. Despite the pulling, I could tell he was one special puppy! He had beautiful brindle color with a white marking on his chest, big floppy ears...and you could tell all he wanted was to love and be loved!
Back to the story (again)...the vet tech brought us into a room, and Gasthof and I waited patiently for the doctor. The doctor was very nice, helpful and thorough. I told him about the rash I noticed (Gasthof was neutered on 9/16, two days before we got him), and about his limping. He prescribed two weeks of antibiotic (Cephalexin) for a skin infection (likely staph). He is hoping the leg injury is just a strain (it was hard to examine Gasthof because he wouldn't sit still!). If it's a torn ligament, we would know because Gasthof wouldn't start getting better in a few days (if it's torn, he would need surgery). Treatment: prescription NSAID (anti-inflammatory) and rest. That's the toughie. Gasthof and resting are not often used in the same sentence, especially during evening hours when we're home. He wants to run around in the yard, play with his toys, and follow us everywhere! For at least a few days, no walks, no letting him run (which means walking him on a leash to go to the bathroom), and try to help him rest as much as possible. He's like a child--he doesn't understand that he can't play like he normally does. And the more rest he does, the more he needs to get out his energy/excitement, but it is hard when he can't run! I tried to set up a barricade to keep him from going up and down the stairs to the basement, but he managed to get around it (he figured out he is skinny enough to get between the rungs on the banister..sneaky guy!), and I even put the brush that he hates on the stairs. He sniffed it, then went around it. I needed to get some things done, including finishing this post, so eventually I had no choice but to put him in his kennel. Earlier today he rested nicely on the couch (see picture below):


All in all I had a productive day, and it seems like Gasthof's leg is doing better. He's not limping around as much, and I'm glad that he rested for almost a half hour on the couch. Although I did get quite a lot done today, I can tell that it is hard to get stuff done as efficiently with a dog (and I am sure it is the same way with kids!). However, I did clean faster than normal this morning because I did not like hearing him whine in his kennel! Today I vacuumed the entire house, cleaned my office, planted Hostas and weeded part of the front yard, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, did two loads of laundry (even some of Nick's) and I did some of the homework (from obedience training) with Gasthof. I also spent some quality time with Gasthof...he likes having his head petted, his neck and shoulders scratched, and he giving kisses. However, he still has not learned (or is choosing not to learn...) that I don't like being jumped up on when I'm sitting down! Yesterday when Nick and I were moving furniture, Gasthof jumped up and scratched my arm (it hurt!). He does not know his own strength...he gets too excited sometimes and just wants to play (see the pictures below...)


Gasthof trying to get the bugs! (but they were in between the window and the screen)
trying the "solarize" option on my camera phone
On Sunday my aunt Martha and uncle Len gave Nick and me some furniture for my house! My mom even got to dog sit for about 20 minutes while Martha, Nick, and I went to get the last load at the storage unit nearby. One of the items I received was a beautiful wooden desk, which has already found its spot in the living room. When I worked some from home I had been sitting at the couch, but sitting at the couch and typing has been hard on my back and shoulders. This new workspace is perfect! We also got a matching dresser, which fits perfectly in the "music room", a single bed, which will work out great in the "sports room" (where Nick will eventually put his computer), a side table, a love-seat, and a high-back upholstered chair. The pieces really helped make my house feel more homey. Thanks Martha and Len! :)

I think that overall I am doing a good job with Gasthof, considering he is my first pet, but I do enjoy when Nick is home and we can double team him...it makes getting things done (like cooking, cleaning) a lot easier. It's also nice going on walks the three of us. I can't wait till we can take Gasthof for runs in the morning! Regular morning exercise would be good for all of us. I hope that Gasthof heals well and gets better soon--it's hard for him to not run around and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment