Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Got Tips?

For those of you with dogs, I would love to hear any tips you have! I'm new to this and doing the best I can, but I definitely am learning something new every day and have room for improvement. I will try to make my blog entries shorter...I've just been so excited the last week or so, and it's all brand new to me!

The number one thing I learned in the past few days is consistency. I have been consistent with my training so far (using same words and hand motions/commands, being consistent what I will and won't allow ie getting up on furniture)....but I need to be more consistent with timing (the story of my life!!)...I need to have a good schedule for Gasthof and stick to it. Today I didn't have our usual play time in the backyard (I had to go to work early), so of course that's going to throw him off. He didn't feel like drinking water in the morning, and he wouldn't poop!

Nick and I are taking Gasthof to obedience training starting next week (1 hour/week for 6 weeks. he is so smart...I know it will be good for him. I think the toughest part will be getting him to listen when he is distracted by all the excitement. I practiced today by having treats and making him sit, lie down, stay when the neighbor's dog was on the other side of the fence. I have been playing fetch with myself sometimes...about half the time I throw the frisbee, he doesn't run for it...so then I run and go get it! But it's a big backyard so it's understandable he gets distracted. He starts doing one thing, moves onto another, but he runs up to the house with me if I start heading inside. He has gotten better at knowing that I won't let him inside until he is sitting quietly--and I stand on the other side of the door (I go in first, wait for him to sit, then let him in).  Today he was very persistent with eating the grass...so I brought him inside and gave him his food. He sure was hungry! I sat down at the counter to write in this blog, so I wasn't paying complete attention to Gasthof. All of a sudden, I look up--there is Gasthof, quietly trotting by, bringing a washcloth into his kennel. He sits innocently, obviously thinking that anything in his sight can go into his mouth. He looks at me like "What mom?" I didn't scold him, just took away the wash cloth....then I noticed that he also had a pair of my underwear in the kennel too. Good thing I noticed before they got chewed up! (However, he hasn't chewed up his blanket, he just likes to play with it...but I'm not going to risk it). So, because I could tell he wanted something in his mouth, I gave him the nylabone. His behaviors (like wanting to chew, bringing stuff in the kennel) are normal, but I want to give him alternatives that I am ok with! Like his dog toys. I think I need to buy a few more tomorrow!

I work this coming weekend, which means I get a day off from work tomorrow. I am going to hang out with Gasthof--maybe try going for a run with him?? We'll see..... Then in the afternoon I am getting a much needed massage :) Nick will have more time to spend with him this weekend--I think that will be good for them both since Nick has been busy and hasn't been around the last few days. Guy bonding :)

Well, I'm off to play more with Gasthof, then we're going for a walk with Nick. I'm looking forward to the day when I can walk Gasthof without him constantly pulling on the leash! :)

Wish us luck for Monday (obedience training)!

No comments:

Post a Comment