Friday, September 24, 2010

Five Fun Furry Friday Factoids

1. When I go into the bathroom, Gasthof follows me. And because I don't trust Gasthof with free reign on the entire house, I let him sit next to me while I take care of business. Today, Nick left for work earlier than me, and I still had to blow dry my hair. As I blow dried my hair, I noticed that I shed more than my dog! I was wearing black scrub pants and could not find a single dog hair on them!

2. Nick and I learned how smart Gasthof is when yesterday he opened the kennel by himself! My mom called him an escape artist and my aunt LeAnne said I should have named him Houdini! Could be a good nickname :) I am glad that Nick and I were home when this happened...I was laying in bed and Nick was showering, when all of a sudden I hear metal clinking (dog tags) coming towards me...and Nick yelling, "I think Gasthof got out!" Nick said he put Gasthof in his kennel so he could shower and not have to monitor Gasthof. When I went over to the kennel and looked at the latches, the top one was still closed. Likely he pawed at the latch enough to move it, then weaseled his body out of the bottom half of the door! The next time I kenneled him, I had to use a lock to keep him from getting out. A friend said his dog had learned to get out of his kennel as well, and he used a carabiner to keep his dog from getting out. Gasthof likes his kennel, but he likes being where the action is even more! It's hard to remember to close certain doors...but Gasthof is so smart that he likes to remind me when we leave a door open...by showing us different clothing items he tries to bring to his kennel. This includes underwear, socks, shirts, etc. It's hard to have time to clean up when I have to watch his every move...they are constantly learning, and I don't want him to develop bad habits.

3. His favorite toy is made up of two ropes, knotted together in the middle, with tennis ball sized canvas covered balls on each end with the John Deere logo on it (see photo below). I'm trying to teach him what it is...so I say, "Get your John Deere" or "Where's your John Deere?" and then give him the toy so he associates the two. Yesterday I thought it was cute the way he plays with it--throwing it up in the air, holding on to the ball or rope with his teeth and whipping it around. I still think it's cute, but I'm watching him closer--ready to duck when he accidentally lets go and the John Deere whacks me in the face! I already have a scab (like a rug burn) on my left elbow and I can't remember what it is from...he's so strong, I need to go to the gym and build up some muscle!


4. Yesterday I took Gasthof on our longest walk yet--almost an hour! However, he walked me as much as I walked him! (to prevent him from getting distracted and not heeling, I kept him on a short leash...which means quite the arm workout!) If he stops, he is very strong and holds his ground...tough to get him moving again! Also, he is notorious for not walking in a straight line, but rather walking with his left front and back legs pointing in towards his right...which means me accidentally stepping on his feet and almost tripping over him. Maybe I should nickname him after a friend of mine who also has trouble walking in a straight line...you know who you are ;-)

5. Growing up, I never had any pets (not even fish!) because of my mom's allergies. Thankfully, Gasthof does not shed much, and the last time she was around him, she seemed to do very well. Another positive thing is that I do not have allergies as badly as my mom, and so far, Gasthof has not seemed to trigger any allergies. It's more when we're outside that sometimes my seasonal allergies kick in. Another thing my mom likes about Gasthof is that he rarely barks (so far, I have only heard him bark when we leave and he is in his kennel...and only a few other times--when he was trying to get another dog to play with him, and when my neighbor was doing laundry and he saw the steam coming out of her house. Even so, he only barked a few times). He likes opening his mouth to chew on things (thankfully he has only chewed on my furniture once), but not to bark. I know with time this can change, but I'm glad he doesn't bark at everything in sight like some dogs. :)

PS: Although "No!" comes in short second to "good boy" in our most commonly used words/phrases, I love him, I enjoy his eagerness to learn, and I can tell he will bring a lot of joy to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment