Monday, October 11, 2010

If Dogs Could Talk

If dogs could talk, this is what I think Gasthof would say:

Hi! My name is Gasthof and I am a puppy. I don't know who my dog birth parents are, but the guess is that one of them is a lab and one is a Plott Hound. No one in Minnesota seems to know what that is...it's because I was born in Iowa and came to Minnesota just a few months ago. I really like it here in Minnesota. I met nice people and other dogs (and cats too!) through Homeward Bound Rescue. Three weeks ago I met Emily and Nick, who are my adopted parents...I don't know what that means, but I hope it means I am here for good. I'm ok with not knowing my dog parents because I'm happy now. I just want to be loved. We rescue dogs don't need a show like Maury to find out if someone is our parent. We get chosen, and that makes it more special. Nick and Emily wanted me, and I am happy to be with them. People sometimes ask how I got my name. I think it's cool because I don't know any other dogs named Gasthof. My parents met at the bar/restaurant called Gasthof zur gemutlichkeit...I'm glad they named me Gasthof and not Gemutlichkeit!

I love my house, and I have lots of fun toys to play with. If I am good, I get to sleep in the same room as mom and dad. I can't sleep on the bed because they tell me to get off and that there isn't any room. But that's ok, I have a comfy bed all to myself, with my own blanket and a bone. Mom and dad never chew on my bone...I don't understand. It's so much fun to chomp on! I like it when mom or dad rubs my belly or scratches by my collar or behind my ears and tell me that they love me. I love them too!

We have a big backyard with lots of room to play...I just wish it didn't have a fence. I've tried to jump over it a few times, but my mom has stopped me every time. I don't get why she stopped me. I just wanted to play with the dogs on the other side! My neighbor Connie is very nice. Her son brought his dog over this weekend. He was a fluffy white dog. We touched noses and sniffed each other through the fence. But when I jumped around to play, he ran away! I tried jumping up onto the tree to jump over the fence, but my right leg got caught and my mom helped me down. I want to be bigger and stronger! 

This morning mom said she was going to see my vet (I call him doctor D). He likes to look me over and make sure I'm ok. I scraped up my legs and belly when I got out of my kennel a few weeks ago. Last time he gave me two shots. I was a big boy and didn't cry! This time I didn't go with her to the vet. She went to pick up some medicine. She says I have something called Giardia. I just hope that means I get to take it with yummy food. When mom left the house this morning, she put on a nice CD that her friend Julie Ann gave her. It's called "Unwind Mix". I barked for a few minutes when she left, but then I quieted down so I could listen to the music. I like Julie Ann. She always smells like food!


This afternoon mom seemed cranky when she came home. All I wanted to do was get her attention, so when she was sitting on the couch with her work computer, I put my paws on her, licked her, put my head on her computer...but she didn't play with me. I thought maybe she didn't notice me, so I jumped up on her. She kept saying "off" or "down" but I don't really know what that means yet. I just get so excited when she comes home and lets me out of my kennel that I don't always hear what she tells me. After she ate food she seemed to be in a much better mood. I guess she was just hungry. I am always hungry. She never gives me any of her food, but lately my food is very yummy. She has been mixing in some kibble that were free samples from doctor D's office. It tastes better when she gets the dry food wet with water...this is making me hungry just writing about food. I always get treats at class...I wonder what I will get tonight. Its called obdience class or something...it's a big word that I don't know yet. There are 7 other dogs in the class, but we don't get to play together. At first I think I'm at class to play with the other dogs, but I calm down when I realize I have to listen to mom to get treats. As long as there is food, I'm happy. Guess my mom is like that too.

After mom finished working, she said we were going for a run. This made the day much better! Before our run, mom put a funny looking collar on me. She called it the "pinch collar". It gives me a little pinch if I pull on the leash. I don't get why we can't spend all day sniffing everywhere, but mom says "come on" and we have to keep going. I got to go on a run with mom! On our way I met a lot people...but some people moved out of my way and wouldn't say hi to me; I just wanted to play with them! Some people said that I am big, and a few kids asked if I bite. The kids live at one of the apartment buildings by our house. My mom told them that I don't bite but that I nip sometimes when I play. She also said that I get excited and jump up on people. The kids wanted to pet me, so I sat nicely. They petted me and scratched my back. One girl jumped back and giggled when I licked her arm. They said I was a very nice puppy. They even asked mom if we were going to walk by their apartment tomorrow. I hope we do!

I have to go now because it's almost time to go to obdience class, and mom and dad need to eat something first. I hope they drop some food while they're eating. I like helping them clean up the floor. I also don't want mom or dad to catch me typing on this computer...I might get in trouble. They aren't mean when I get in trouble, but they won't pet or play with me for a minute. I want to play all the time! Hope everyone is having a fun night. I wish I could watch the Vikings play. I guess someone named Randy is going to be playing. My grandpa's name is Randy...maybe he plays for the Vikings? I'll have to watch for him after class. Gotta run!

Licks and kisses,
Gasthof  oOOo
              (      )

Here's me and mom. I tried to smile for the camera!

2 comments:

  1. Gasthof, you write really well. Funny, too. Thanks for sharing and I won't tell 'mom' about borrowing her computer.

    ReplyDelete