Saturday, October 23, 2010

Some Saturday Randomness

I signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in March this year, but I had the hardest time trying to train for the marathon. I wasn't in shape enough to want to run and put up with a racing heart beat and I could not convince myself to get up early before work to run. And by the time I was in shape enough and motivated to try running after work rather than just on the weekend, it was 85 to 90 degrees and humid! The only time it wasn't unbearably hot was in the morning, and no matter how hard I have tried over the years, I am still not a morning person. Paying $100 for a marathon was not motivation enough, but getting a dog has worked! I have much more motivation to run now because I know how important it is for Gasthof to get exercise. I focus on him--looking at his floppy ears, seeing his curious looks and his always sniffing nose, or making sure he doesn't pull on leash--and I forget that I am getting a workout too! Now that he no longer has an injury and can run, I have ran with him 8 times in the last 2 weeks, for 25 to 30 min each time. Today I didn't think as much about him as I did about myself; I admit that I wanted to run because I was stressed out. I feel like I have too much to do and not enough time. Nick and I are leaving for Paris and London in two weeks. We have the plane tickets and a list of things we would like to do, but that's about it. I am finalizing hotel arrangements this weekend, if things go as planned. I started trying to learn French a week ago, and I am finding it very interesting but I wish I had started learning the language sooner! The trip crept up on me and I realized I don't have as much time as I thought I did to get everything done! Even though running takes time out of my evening, I think it makes the rest of the time more productive and I am less stressed out.

A pretty view during my work day...the nice thing about driving around for my job:)
For those of you who know me well, you know that I am a procrastinator and one of my flaws is that I have a hard time being on time to places. I recently have discovered part of the problem. First of all, I am an optimist. For me, this can translate into me thinking I can get a specific task (or many things done) in an allotted amount of time. Yes, if I had planned better, I could have learned French more thoroughly and researched hotels more. Second of all, I get distracted easily with other things that I put on my plate. The best example of this is that I have a new puppy who has been a priority in the last month. I knew about my trip before getting him, but after hearing about him and meeting him, I couldn't not adopt him. He has made it more difficult to clean the house and get things done.and I have to think about him before I schedule things during the week I am finding ways to incorporate him smoothly into our lives....not just make him fit in with our schedule, but sometimes put what is good for him first...it's a balance. Even though it is a transition, I love him and I can't imagine life without him! My best friend Julie Ann will be dog sitting when we are on our trip. We are so lucky! She is great with dogs, and Gasthof loves her! When she's around, he forgets all about me :-) I am optimistic that even though we procrastinated on planning the trip, it will be a wonderful time. I like walking and exploring new cities...we will try to have somewhat of an itinerary, but I plan on leaving plenty of time available to explore.

I hear this from others, so I know I am not alone. One of my number one complaints in life is it feels like I don't have enough time to do all that I want to do (and still get adequate sleep). I like to have my plate full (as an expression...but I do like having a full plate on Thanksgiving...which is just over a month away!) Nick's mom Melanie, once told me "You don't let the grass grow, do you?" She told me this last winter after I bought my first house. I started looking at houses in October 2009, I decided on one in November, closed at the end of December, and moved in January 1st 2010. Buying a house may have appeared to be a quick decision, but what some may not know is that I started saving for a house December 2007, right after I finished paying my parents back. They helped me pay for a lot of my college expenses, but I contributed to the housing expenses, food, clothing, all my books, and my interim trip to South Africa.  I worked hard every summer trying to save up for each school year.

I feel lucky and grateful to my parents for helping me pay for college, and I know that parents who can afford to often help pay for some of their childrens' college education. Money is a touchy subject, and it can be a cause of much stress. I have friends who had to struggle to pay their way through college, and many who will be paying off their loans for years. Even though my parents did help me pay for my education, I am still proud of myself for buying my own house. I could have spent my earnings on clothes, a new car, or other material things, but instead I let my savings account grow to where I could afford a ten percent down payment on a house.

In the year 2009, I lived in 3 different places. My living situations felt temporary, like I could never quite settle in and get comfortable. I have a lot to learn about taking care of a home, but thankfully I have wonderful family and friends who have helped give me advice or lend me a hand. My house has given me more than any other material thing. Not only has it given me a sense of pride, but more importantly---for the first time since living with my parents---I feel like I have a home.

Emily, Gasthof, and Nick. It's hard to see Gasthof in the middle because it's so dark...it's hard to get him to sit still for pictures with both of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment