Friday, October 8, 2010

Open to Ideas :)


So, since this whole puppy parent thing is new to me, I'm just wondering what other people think is a "normal" amount of time in a kennel during the day. Nick usually leaves for work before me, So I put Gasthof in the kennel when I go see my first patient (anywhere from 8 to 9ish in the morning), then I try to make it back for a quick lunch break and to let Gasthof out (?30 minutes or so, depending on the day), then I am usually home by 5 or 5:30pm (sometimes working from home but letting him out of the kennel). I live in a good location for my job so sometimes I am able to do some work from home in between seeing patients (many live in Fridley and Columbia Heights).


South Innsbruck Neighborhood/Fridley
I have really been enjoying the fall weather...sunny days, highs in 60s to 70s...trees changing colors. I really enjoy being a home care nurse and driving around to different cities and neighborhoods that I may not ordinarily see. This is especially nice with the changing of seasons...so I thought I would post two pictures from my work day (don't worry--both of these pics were taken from my car but I was parked on the side of the road). I feel bad that more people don't get to enjoy the scenery and are stuck in a cubicle at work most of the day...but then again, they are around more coworkers...I guess it all depends on what you like. Some people might hate driving around or not being around coworkers or other people their own age. Most of my coworkers are older than me, and most of my patients are in their 70s to 80s...but I like older people :-)
42nd Ave South/Minneapolis
 For me this weather is perfect for running...however, I haven't been running lately...partly because of Gasthof. I am taking him to the vet Friday morning for a follow up, and to see if the vet will ok him to run in the backyard...he's a puppy with a lot of energy. Cross your fingers! Today I decided I NEEDED TO RUN (or should I say a "jog" since I'm slow??), but I almost didn't because I started to feel guilty about putting him back in the kennel after hanging out with him for a half hour or so after work. (he "helped" me clean/put away laundry...). I have been home with him most nights (Nick hung out with friends to watch the Twins game yesterday and today) and I spend time with him before work, but I'm wondering if I should feel guilty about re-kenneling him after work and going out with friends sometimes...I suppose it depends on the frequency; it's not like I plan to go out somewhere every night.

The other day I went to a Muse concert with Nick, Tiffany, and Steve at the Target Center. We were on the floor level. It was such a fun night! It didn't seem like many people were dancing to the music, but Tiffany and I did our part :) We left for the concert around 7:30pm and got home before midnight. I want to spend time with Gasthof but I also want to be able to go to friends' houses or leave the house for other events on occasion and not feel guilty leaving Gasthof home alone. It's important to have time away from the house too sometimes, right? I know that having a dog changes responsibilities and priorities, but I just am not sure what is a normal amount/a tolerable frequency to be away from Gasthof.

Not sure if anyone is reading this...but if so, please let me know any advice or thoughts you have! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. hi
    Gasthof needs to learn that it's ok to be alone and out of the kennel and not destroy the house and the way we did it was by leaving for an hour or two at a time and then come back and increasing the time slowly. Where we had problems was comning home and leaving again that same day. It'll take some time to work it out and as a puppy yet i'd try to come back every 4-6 hours to let him out. He'll adjust to your schedules. I think you're doing a great job handling him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, don't worry about leaving Gasthof home alone for periods of time. It's normal, and it looks like being in a kennel might be safest for now (if you can find a setup that he can't try to escape). Autumn showed some separation anxiety when she was little, but she was calmer when she could snuggle in her kennel with the familiar smells of her bed and blanket. We also bought a CD of soothing sounds for anxious dogs...it sounds kind of silly, but the vet recommended it, and it really did help her forget about all of the funny sounds of an empty house. But dogs are not meant to tie you to your house. As long as you give them the love, attention and safety that you do, it is fine to leave them in the kennel for periods of time. You are doing a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete